[SOLVED] Remote Access (via VPN) to Proxmox

Maguelito

Jun 14, 2022
Hi Guys,
I've got a Proxmox server running version 7.2 with latest updates and a pfSense VM acting as my firewall/router. On my network I have a few configured VLANs with proper rules in pfSense and everything works perfectly as it was designed.
I also have OpenVPN in my pfSense providing remote access to my internal network. And again, it works great. I can connect to my VPN and access the internal network as per my firewall rules.
The problem is that I can't access my Proxmox when connected via VPN. Any other VM in any VLAN is accessible via VPN (I opened the rule in the firewall on purpose for tests and troubleshooting). I can see from my firewall logs that pfSense is passing/allowing the traffic to Proxmox, but Proxmox on the other hand is dropping the traffic.
So, i did some searches here in the forum and on other websites, and found people saying something about the internal Proxmox firewall. Well, the firewall was disabled by default, so I was not expecting any traffic to be blocked. In fact I didn't want that firewall to be enabled because I manage all traffic from the pfSense.
Anyway, I decided to enable the internal firewall in Proxmox and apply proper rules allowing traffic from my VPN Network. And guess what... it didn't change anything.
Before you tell me there's a wiki with all information and details about configuring Proxmox firewall, including for remote access, Yes. I know, and I read everything in there.

https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Firewall

I even created the "management" IPSet, which is mentioned in the wiki, and it should give me the access I need.

"To simplify that task, you can instead create an IPSet called “management”, and add all remote IPs there. This creates all required firewall rules to access the GUI from remote."

Well, that didn't work either. I surely am missing something.
Would anyone know what else is required for remote access Proxmox in this case?
Appreciate any help.

Is the gateway of your Proxmox host the IP of the PFSense VM running OpenVPN?
Yes. My Proxmox is in my main VLAN defined in the pfsense. And the pfsense has an interface which is the default gateway for all devices/VMs in this VLAN. And yes, the default gw is manually set in the Proxmox interface facing this VLAN.

Last edited:
Check the traffic using with tcpdump both on pfsense and Proxmox.

In Pfsense packets should come IN by the OpenVPN interface and go OUT by the vlan interface.
In Proxmox the should come IN by the vlan interface (or vmbrX, if vlan is untagged) and go OUT the same interface. Check the routing table of your Proxmox host to make sure there is not a route to your OpenVPN network sending packets using a different interface/gateway.

Hey Victor,
That's why I like a second point of view. You saw what I couldn't see.
I had specified a VPN VLAN interface in my Proxmox network settings and forgot to delete it. That was causing the issue.
Thank you for that. You helped a lot.

Last edited:
Reactions: VictorSTS

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!