Relaying from smart host

dthompson

Nov 23, 2011
Canada
www.digitaltransitions.ca
Hi all,

I checked, but couldn't find anything that fits my needs. I have the following setup:

2 PMG servers, 1 acting as a smart host
2 Mail servers - relay email off of the PMG smart host
1 email archive server - Relays email off of the PMG smart host when restoring emails back to mailboxes

I am taking another customer, but their email is hosted outside of my network. This is the first one that I have like this. I'd like to know if the following works before I commit to them.

In the PMG --> Configuration -->Mail Proxy --> Relay Domains
I would add in their email domain there to relay.

Would I also have to add in the transports for them and point it back to their actual hosting domain, which in this case is office365, or do all I need to do is add them to the first section to relay domain via their MX record and it should be able to route it back to them externally of my network?

Hopefully that makes sense.

Thank you.

Would I also have to add in the transports for them and point it back to their actual hosting domain, which in this case is office365, or do all I need to do is add them to the first section to relay domain via their MX record and it should be able to route it back to them externally of my network?
This depends on whether or not you have set a default relay (GUI->Configuration->Mail Proxy->Relaying) - if yes - you need to set a transport for their domain (else the mails will be sent to the default relay) - if not postfix should relay the mails based on classical email flow (sent to the MX)

you also need to add the domain itself as relay domain and not the MX!

I hope this helps!

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!