Relay domains for out going email

AlphaOmega

Sep 2, 2020
Hello,

I tried to set up PMG as SMTP for out going email, I configured a relay domain with domains but when I send an email transaction I get a problem with the error message 'relay access denied'

1694490774485.png

Sep 12 10:52:32 xxx-xxx postfix/smtpd[59485]: connect from unknown[192.168.xxx.xxx]
Sep 12 10:52:32 xxx-xxx postfix/smtpd[59485]: Anonymous TLS connection established from unknown[192.168.xxx.xxx]: TLSv1.3 with cipher TLS_AES_128_GCM_SHA256 (128/128 bits) key-exchange X25519 server-signature RSA-PSS (2048 bits)
Sep 12 10:52:32 xxx-xxx postfix/smtpd[59485]: NOQUEUE: reject: RCPT from unknown[192.168.xxx.xxx]: 554 5.7.1 <xxx.xxx@yahoo.com>: Relay access denied; from=<xxx@xxx.com> to=<xxx.xxx@yahoo.com> proto=ESMTP helo=<[192.168.xxx.xxx]>
Sep 12 10:52:32 xxx-xxx postfix/smtpd[59485]: lost connection after RCPT from unknown[192.168.xxx.xxx]
Sep 12 10:52:32 xxx-xxx postfix/smtpd[59485]: disconnect from unknown[192.168.xxx.xxx] ehlo=2 starttls=1 mail=1 rcpt=0/1 commands=4/5

Please advise.

I tried to set up PMG as SMTP for out going email,
For outgoing mail you need to send to the internal port of PMG (default is 26) - and the sending server needs to be listed as trusted IP/Network

Additionally 'domains' is most likely wrong - Relay Domains are for inbound traffic (from the internet to your local domains - and you need to add your domains and not the string 'domains'

I hope this helps

For outgoing mail you need to send to the internal port of PMG (default is 26) - and the sending server needs to be listed as trusted IP/Network

Additionally 'domains' is most likely wrong - Relay Domains are for inbound traffic (from the internet to your local domains - and you need to add your domains and not the string 'domains'

I hope this helps

Thanks for your feed back and advice.

Currently i have listed the block IP client in Trusted IP/Network, since i use this PMG host as outgoing SMTP based on your explanation, i changed the External SMTP Port to 26 and the Internal SMTP Port to 25.

1694576994044.png

I have now tried to simulate sending an email and it has successfully worked, is the Ports configuration that I did above in line with its function?

I have now tried to simulate sending an email and it has successfully worked, is the Ports configuration that I did above in line with its function?
Yes - just make sure you only list trusted IPs in the Networks section!

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!