Relay access denied PMG 5.0.73

Jean-Pierre WEISS

Feb 13, 2017
Hi,
I had installed PMG 5.0.73 for testing purposes and it works well for incoming mails.
Now I want to filter outgoing mails but they are rejected with the message :
postfix/smtpd[1213]: NOQUEUE: reject: RCPT from debian-test.domaine-mairie.lan[10.5.0.114]: 454 4.7.1 <jpweiss@free.fr>: Relay access denied; from=<jpweiss@pierrefitte-sur-seine.fr> to=<jpweiss@free.fr> proto=ESMTP helo=<mail.pierrefitte-sur-seine.fr>
Reading other threads, I configured the mail server to send outgoing mails trough port 26 but the problem persist.
The PMG and the mail server are on the same network, so I haven't set the trusted network.
Any clue ?
Thanks.

Thank you Dietmar.
You're right, the relayhost option in mainf.cf was well configured (relayhost = pmg-test:26) but I had also a default_transport option who was wrong. It's fixed !

For borrowing, there are more detailed configuration documents and steps? about PMG and the backend mail server.
These documents are helpful to those who do not understand the process of sending and receiving mail, like me :(
thanks.

PMG has the advantage, that it has a great GUI and it's easy to manage. However, you need to know about your infrastructure and on how to setup such infrastructure to handle your mails well, otherwise you would always run in trouble. Also it's unknown here, what systems you have as for incoming you need to be able to access your DNS records of your domain and setup an A record for PMG and add it to your zone file and point your MX records to the PMG record. On how to do exactly, it's required to know your domain provider and also to know, how it's working there, as some users know here, some they don't. Same for sending mails, if you're using postfix setting up a relay host is completely different if you're using sendmail, exim, Microsoft Exchange or if you use any kind of admin panel like Plesk, cPanel etc. you won't usually use the shell to adjust services and aren't able to do so via the GUI or you have a webhosting package, where you aren't either able to adjust domains dns zone file nor adjust the mail servers setting as e.g. I use a hosted exchange where I can't direct outgoing mails through PMG, so I can't e.g. test or do DKIM, as they don't provide and although I could adjust PMG to do so, I can't send the mails through PMG. So more details are required and maybe someone can help or you're required to contact your server admin as he should also be able to adjust your settings to use PMG.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!