[SOLVED] Reinstalling Host; Shares same IP as CLUSTER

Tau

Sep 24, 2020
Hi there!

Quick question: I need to reinstall a node in my proxmox cluster. Its management IP is the same as the Clusters IP Address. Can I safely reinstall this host, possibly using a new IP and Hostname without blowing up the cluster? Is the cluster IP normally tied to a host IP Address? This was the host from which I created the cluster.

This is fine as long as you properly remove the node from the cluster before setting it up again. Make sure to *immediately* reboot into the new installer/installation and not boot the old config again on that node. See our documentation for more.

And no, the cluster is not bound to a specific host, so even the first node can be removed if others still exist.

Thanks for your time.

Just to check if I understood correctly; my Cluster IP address will not change eventhough it shares that same IP Address with the host im about to remove and reinstall and give this host a new IP Address.

There is no such thing as a 'cluster' IP address. All hosts in a PVE cluster are equal, so no IP acts as a 'master'. I.e. you can always join a cluster by joining any node already in it.

Ah okay. in the GUI I see an IP Address mentioned under cluster --> "join information" I assumed that that one is static and unchangable.

Thanks for the clarification.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!