Reinstall proxmox

gusto

Feb 10, 2018
Until now I was running on Proxmox 7.3-4 and today I installed a clean Proxmox 8.0.3. Everything works great, VM and LXC are running.
There are 2 data SSDs in the system on which ZFS Mirror was installed.
Code:
zpool import
   pool: datapool
     id: 5891050705304534901
  state: ONLINE
 action: The pool can be imported using its name or numeric identifier and
        the '-f' flag.
   see: https://openzfs.github.io/openzfs-docs/msg/ZFS-8000-EY
 config:

datapool                    ONLINE
          mirror-0                  ONLINE
            wwn-xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx  ONLINE
            wwn-yyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy  ONLINE
I want to import this ZFS into the system.
Code:
zpool import datapool -d /dev/disk/by-id
The output is this

Code:
cannot import 'datapool': pool was previously in use from another system.
Last accessed by local-proxmox1 (hostid=c2ad1907) at Mon Aug 14 05:30:03 2023
The pool can be imported, use 'zpool import -f' to import the pool.

Now proxmox is run under the name local-proxmox2. I don't want to spoil anything and I don't want the data in the datapool to be destroyed. I need to import the datapool. Do you think I can use a command?

Code:
zpool import datapool -f -d /dev/disk/by-id

Code:
cannot import 'datapool': pool was previously in use from another system.
Last accessed by local-proxmox1 (hostid=c2ad1907) at Mon Aug 14 05:30:03 2023
The pool can be imported, use 'zpool import -f' to import the pool.
This is a very common warning when moving a zpool between systems (or changing the system like reinstalling) without properly exporting (like unmounting) the zpool beforehand.
Now proxmox is run under the name local-proxmox2. I don't want to spoil anything and I don't want the data in the datapool to be destroyed. I need to import the datapool. Do you think I can use a command?

Code:
This is usually indeed easily solved by importing with -f.

I understand, it means that I should always export zpool before reinstallation and it won't complain when importing. So I can use the command without any worries
Code:

I understand, it means that I should always export zpool before reinstallation and it won't complain when importing. So I can use the command without any worries
Code:
As I said, that is usually how you fix. It's unlikely to do harm if it does not succeed, but I'm just a random stranger on the internet. If you need more assurances, maybe contact the people that develop and maintain ZFS on Linux. Or search for more information about this particular ZFS command (as it is not Proxmox specific).

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!