Redundant GlusterFS servers as Storage - WHY NOT!?

firegs

Apr 8, 2013
Can anyone tell me why we cannot use more than a single IP for a GlusterFS storage device? Isn't that one of the central aspects of GlusterFS - that its multiple servers and not just one?

I have a two-node GlusterFS 3.4.1 cluster running. I can only add one of the two node's IPs to Proxmox. If I take that node down, the storage is down, yet node #2 was more than available to take care of business.

I've tried rrDNS, and while it works (sort of) with ping, every other ping fails when a node is down - and Proxmox still says it either cant mount, or the Storage is offline.

Will there ever be a native GUI fix for this? If not, what was the point of adding GlusterFS support?

Sam

Ugh. It was rrDNS. As soon as I went back to not using rrDNS, it works fine. Close thread. :(

Hi there, sorry for digging this out - but how did you manage to get the redundancy working? If you can add but one IP through the proxmox GUI?

Hi there, sorry for digging this out - but how did you manage to get the redundancy working? If you can add but one IP through the proxmox GUI?

Say I have two GlusterFS nodes - 10.0.0.220 and 10.0.0.221 - If I simply add the 10.0.0.220 node in as a Gluster Storage type, the glusterfs api intelligently finds the other node. You dont need to tell Proxmox about both. Just one. Works great!

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!