Reducing VM Harddrive Size

proxmoxniggaz

Jan 26, 2020
Hi,

How do I reduce hard drive size for VMs? FOr example, if I have a VM that was created with 40GB space, but want to reduce it to have only 15gb total space, how do I do this?

Also, how would I move a vm from local-lvm to local?

THanks in advance

How do I reduce hard drive size for VMs? FOr example, if I have a VM that was created with 40GB space, but want to reduce it to have only 15gb total space, how do I do this?

Proxmox doesn't support shrinking disks, you would likely need to backup the data, recreate the disk at desired size, and restore the data. Note, if you using LVM thin, only the blocks that contain data uses disks space. You can over provision, although caution must be taken to make sure you don't run out of disk space.

Also, how would I move a vm from local-lvm to local?
movedisk.png

How can I just move some of the VMs from Local-LVM drive to Local drive?

Hi,
just go to the Hardware tab of your VM and click the Move Disk button as @lhorace suggested. If not already done you'll need to configure your local storage to store images though. This can be done in Datacenter > Storage > local > Edit by adding Disk Images (and Container if you have containers) as valid contents.

Will try and revert back. I see this is a common issue and yet to be adequately addressed. Hope this does it and others will benefit. I will include screenshots if not, or confirm otherwith with thanks !!!

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!