Redox OS on proxmox

NightHunter

Sep 7, 2024
Has anyone managed to get redox os running on proxmox?
I have been trying to follow these instructions for QEMU on their website
https://doc.redox-os.org/book/ch02-01-running-vm.html#linux-1

Bash:
SDL_VIDEO_X11_DGAMOUSE=0 qemu-system-x86_64 -d cpu_reset,guest_errors -smp 4 -m 2048 \
    -chardev stdio,id=debug,signal=off,mux=on,"" -serial chardev:debug -mon chardev=debug \
    -machine q35 -device ich9-intel-hda -device hda-duplex -netdev user,id=net0 \
    -device e1000,netdev=net0 -device nec-usb-xhci,id=xhci -enable-kvm -cpu host \
    -drive file=`echo $HOME/Downloads/redox_demo_x86_64_*_harddrive.img`,format=raw

i have been converting this to proxmox as much as i can but still running into issues with the booting
i have asked on the redox chats but no one so far as run redox on proxmox as far as i can tell.
if anyone has please let me know thanks

I wouldn’t set CPU type to host for an experimental OS like this, you should emulate what they support like the Core2Duo with 1 core, 1 socket should be relatively safe.

The qm utility on the command line has a way of printing out the KVM command. See if you can compare with what they recommend. Make sure you test the current build runs at all with the qemu command in the docs on another machine.

I wouldn’t set CPU type to host for an experimental OS like this, you should emulate what they support like the Core2Duo with 1 core, 1 socket should be relatively safe.

The qm utility on the command line has a way of printing out the KVM command. See if you can compare with what they recommend. Make sure you test the current build runs at all with the qemu command in the docs on another machine.
Hmm the cpu type to host is what they recommend but i can try without it.
i think it should work with any normal core setup but will try with a single one as you said.
ya will need to setup another machine. currently only have one setup for VM's

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!