Redistribute traffic over bond

ph0x

Renowned Member
Jul 5, 2020
/dev/null
Hey there!
I have three nodes in a cluster with Ceph connected to a switch with two NICs each in 802.3ad bond mode.
I noticed that one node hardly uses the second NIC and with most of the traffic going through one NIC the available bandwidth for cluster operations is more limited than with the other two nodes.
The reason is, I guess, that the hash algorithm calculates that NIC to be used for both of the other nodes.
Is there an easy way to tweak this behavior and have the hash algorithm distribute the NIC usage more evenly or do I have to play around with the hash algorithms until I find a suitable one?

Thanks for any suggestions on that topic!

Regards
Marco

best way is to use layer3+4 hash algorithm on the hypervisor, for traffic going out the hypervisor,

and the same on the switch, for traffic going out the switch (so coming to your hypervisor). On switch, it can be called something like : src-dest-srcport-desport algorithm.

as ceph use multiple daemon-ports by osd, it'll loadbalance fine .

~
best way is to use layer3+4 hash algorithm on the hypervisor, for traffic going out the hypervisor,

and the same on the switch, for traffic going out the switch (so coming to your hypervisor). On switch, it can be called something like : src-dest-srcport-desport algorithm.

as ceph use multiple daemon-ports by osd, it'll loadbalance fine .
Please explain this?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!