Recreate zpool mirror (boot drives)

gregg098

Apr 5, 2018
My Proxmox sits on a mirror pool consisting of two 480 GB SSDs. I made some poor choices setting this up (mainly the ashift) initially and want to recreate the pool. I realize I have to basically start from scratch. Any tips and tricks for doing this to make things easier? I have full backups of all VMs and containers.
Would I be better off trying to clone back and forth or just reinstall from scratch and import all VMs and containers?

Thanks.

Hello
I figure I would most likely create the mirror, snapshot, then >> send/recv, run grub on them. At that point will been to export both, import renaming on the new pool, close down, remove old drives and give it a try. Despite everything you have the old drives if something turns out badly, so there's very little to lose.
It's more troublesome with smaller drives since you can't simply add them to the pool, and at that point remove the old ones and run grub on completely new disks.
RJ

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!