Recovery question

mn124700

Feb 22, 2020
I'm in disaster-recovery mode, and have a question. My Proxmox node (v6) no longer recognizes some of its VM's, and I wish I had newer backups. If I try to create backups, I just get error messages.

Can I do something like this...

1) From Debian, copy the contents of my VM logical volume to external storage
2) Reinstall a clean Proxmox
3) Create a new VM
4) From Debian, overwrite the contents of the new VM with my copied old VM

Would that work? Or is there another way?
Eric

What storage is backing your VMs?
Before trying to rescue anything I would boot up a clonezilla and create a block level backup of the whole disk, so you can always restore later in case you screw something up.

Last edited:
Thanks for the clonezilla idea. My Proxmox node is running on 2 SSD drives. The proxmox system itself and a handful of VMs are stored on the first SSD. The rest are on the second SSD (which is developing hardware errors, BTW).

And what did you use for those SSDs? LVM, LVM-Thin, ZFS, btrfs, ext4? And HW raid involve?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!