Recommended number of OSDs in CEPH cluster

nitaish

Feb 1, 2014
Mumbai
www.techknowlogy.in
I want to setup a Proxmox cluster with Ceph storage for HCI based infrastructure. To start with I will be creating a 3 nodes cluster. I have decided to go with the following hardware configuration

2 x Intel Xeon Decacore processors
128 GB DDR4 RAM
120 GB Enterprise SSD for Proxmox
2 x 1.92 TB Enterprise SSD for the OSDs
1 x 8 TB Enterprise SATA for backups

I want to know if 2 OSDs per server is enough or I should go for more OSDs like say 4 or 6. I will be using this cluster for Production and will be adding more nodes as and when the requirement increases. Kindly suggest.

I have decided to go with the following hardware configuration
On what bases did you decide?

I want to know if 2 OSDs per server is enough or I should go for more OSDs like say 4 or 6. I will be using this cluster for Production and will be adding more nodes as and when the requirement increases.
Smaller disks and more disks, means less time during recovery of a disk and more disks to distribute work. But depending on workload, two SSDs could be enough (especially with NVMe).

See our docs for the precondition section.
https://pve.proxmox.com/pve-docs/chapter-pveceph.html#_precondition

Reactions: MertsA
On what bases did you decide?

Based on the current and the estimated workload in the next quarter.

Smaller disks and more disks, means less time during recovery of a disk and more disks to distribute work. But depending on workload, two SSDs could be enough (especially with NVMe).

Do you think going with four 1 TB Enterprise SSDs will be better than going with two 2 TB Enterprise SSDs?

See our docs for the precondition section.
https://pve.proxmox.com/pve-docs/chapter-pveceph.html#_precondition

Based on the current and the estimated workload in the next quarter.
Yes, I meant more, what are the numbers.

Do you think going with four 1 TB Enterprise SSDs will be better than going with two 2 TB Enterprise SSDs?
Depends on the model of SSDs, even if they are called Enterprise, they might just not do the job.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!