Recommendation for replication with two nodes and LAN ports

Fabio

Renowned Member
Jan 30, 2016
I have two DELL R750xs servers with two SFP+ ports and two 1GB ports. I need to configure the replication of virtual machines between the two nodes. Do I necessarily have to do it via the SFP+ ports or can I also use the 1GB ports? Consider that you would like to set a response time of n. 1 minute. There will be 4 machines to replicate

It depends.
How much data changes each minute on those 4 guest's disks? If it's less than what the network and in turn the replication can handle, it should be fine.

There are 4 virtual machines, I can't quantify how much data. One of these is a s.o. windows d is the one that...

If it's below what you can send per minute over the 1Gbit network, it should be fine.

I'd suggest running it over the 1Gbit network and monitoring it in case the network becomes the bottleneck.

I understand. Listen, I initially told you that I have 2 10GB SFP+ ports available on the two servers. Can I configure the two sfp+ ports managing 2 replica virtual machines on the first port and two other virtual machines on the second port? Let me explain better, can I replicate two specific virtual machines on SFP+ port 1 and the other two on SFP+ port 2?

Splitting replication traffic over different links is not supported.
You can set a migration network and it will be used for replication, but all replication traffic will go over that network then.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!