Recommend a drive setup?

oguruma

Mar 26, 2020
I need a setup to install my crm (SuiteCRM), PBX (3CX) and marketing system (Mautic). The CRM and Mautic are both on a ubuntu Digital Ocean VPS, and PBX (which runs on Debian) is installed on a Raspberry Pi 3 (it's supported, but I don't like that idea for obvious reasons).

The VMS I would want are

1) Debian 3CX PBX - This has to be a standalone appliance. KVM is supported, but installing other software on it is not. 4/40G RAM/Storage is plenty.

2) Remote Webserver - to host sites outside the firewall for staging and for Mautic. 4/40G should be fine for this as well.

3) Local Webserver - for developing sites behind the firewall, but I also might bring SuiteCRM behind the firewall and just access it via VPN. 4/40G

I would probably give the PBX and Remote webserver their own NIC and set them up in two separate DMZs (once I figure out how).

For hardware I have a Xeon 1225 and Supermicro X9 board with ECC ram.

I want to use ZFS for storage (I have plenty of ECC RAM laying around). IT at work has a Supermicro 2U hotswap chassis they are going to give me.

What I don't know is what kind of drives to use for storage. My original plan was to use RAID1 for the ProxMox and then RAIDZ6 for the VMs, all with cheap consumer SSDs.

However, from what I have learned ProxMox does a log of journaling and consumer SSDs don't hold up well.

What's a good drive set up, assuming you needed, say 150-200G of write-intensive VMs?

Hi,

I would recommend you Raid 10 and not Z2. Because Z2 or Raid 6 does not perform with virtualizing.
Also if you do not be careful about blocksize you lose much space through the block alignment.
If you ask me, I would say Raid Z2 makes sense if you have large arrays with over 8 disks.

However, from what I have learned ProxMox does a log of journaling and consumer SSDs don't hold up well.
It is about 10GB per day.
So all new actual 3D NAND should able to support this amount of writes.
The main problem is the controller (less) NAND witch does not remap the cells. USB Stik or eMMC is not able to do this.
This ends in always the same cell gets overwritten. And this kills the disk very fast.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!