recipient list

ischnuel

Jul 18, 2005
Hello,
Is it possible to define a list of allowed recipients? We often got mails with wrong addresses. We want to reject these mails with promox.

thanks

Ivo

Hello ischnuel!

First and short: YES!

Nearly every mail with a wrong address was sent by a spammer. The Proxmox mail gateway has got greylisting. This feature eliminates nearly every such e-email. So there is no need to maintain a list of allowed recipients. (But it is possible!)

regards,
Christian

How to create a recipient list

Hi,
we got many spam from our backup mx. I think for this IP adress it ist not possible to use grey lists. Can you tell me how to establish an allowed recipient list?

thanks

Ivo

Hello,

Exclude your backup mx from greylisting (Mail Proxy->Greylist excl.)

To make a list of allowed recipients you have to add 2 rules.

The first one will look like this (compare to whitelist):
To: Allowed Recipients (= new WHO Object)
When: Always
What: Anything
Action: ACCEPT

The second one:
To: Anybody
When: Always
What: Anything
Action: Block

Be sure that both rules are for incoming e-mails and the first rule has a higher priority than teh second one. (But less than your spam rules)

If an incoming e-mail is not in your recipients object than the next rule will work. And this one blocks the e-mail. Maybe you would like to be informed about blocking, than you can add a "notify admin" object to the 2nd rule action.

Let me know if you haven't unterstood something.

regards,
Christian

Hello,
ok, next problem: We have 600 allowed recipients. I dont want to add them via the webingerface. I have created a new who object. Is it possible to edit this via ssh and vi?

Thanks

Ivo

Hello,

I do not see any need for a allowed recipients list (IMHO), but I will support you.

There is no easy way to add 600 e-mail adresses. I recommend a backup before starting.

1) Login to web interface
2) Click on Mail Filter->Who
3) Place your mouse about the red arrow left to your who object (recipients list)
4) Look at the status bar (bottom-left-corner) of your browser
5) Note the number after &aa= as your objectgroup_id (for example 3)

6) Login to the console
7) Create a text file (eg. test.sql)
8) Insert lines like
Code:
insert into object (objecttype,objectgroup_id,value) values (1001,3,'test1@example.com');
insert into object (objecttype,objectgroup_id,value) values (1001,3,'test2@example.com');
Note: Replace 3 with your objectgroup_id! Do not change 1001
9) Type this command to insert the new e-mails to the database:
Code:
psql -U postgres -d Proxmox_ruledb -f test.sql

10) End (Finally look at your who object to see your success!)

If something went wrong make a backup restore.

regards
Christian

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!