Reboots after updating libglib2.0-0

DomFel

May 10, 2024
I am experiencing reboots every 3-4 hours since yesterday, after updating libglib2.0-0 (version 2.74.6-2+deb12u2).
I manage 7 other servers of friends, same hardware, similar VMs/LXCs, they are all updated except that package, and they have no issues. (they have installed 2.74.6-2+deb12u1).

Code:
May 10 05:17:01 CRON[35061]: pam_unix(cron:session): session opened for user root(uid=0) by (uid=0)
May 10 05:17:01 CRON[35062]: (root) CMD (cd / && run-parts --report /etc/cron.hourly)
May 10 05:17:01 CRON[35061]: pam_unix(cron:session): session closed for user root
-- Reboot --

Last edited:
Hi,
AFAICT, the only change in 2.74.6-2+deb12u2 over 2.74.6-2+deb12u1 is this: https://salsa.debian.org/gnome-team/glib/-/commit/1bf4d8867da5d19f3a94f8e4da7aab338fee8c9c

I can't say for sure, but seems unlikely to be the cause of the crashes. If you want to make sure and are not using ibus, you can downgrade to 2.74.6-2+deb12u1.

Otherwise, you might want to connect via SSH from another server and run journalctl -f. If you are lucky, you can see more logs there when the crash happens. Check your RAM via memtest. Check that you have the latest BIOS updates and CPU microcode installed: https://pve.proxmox.com/pve-docs/chapter-sysadmin.html#sysadmin_firmware_cpu

Fiona, the server doesn't crash, it reboots itself, look at the 4th line of the syslog I posted earlier.

Memory has been tested, latest bios, latest microcode, the server has been running flawlessly for the last 3 years, never an issue.

Any idea how to completely disable cron jobs? There are some system cron jobs, I'm not sure it's a good idea to turn them off.

Fiona, the server doesn't crash, it reboots itself, look at the 4th line of the syslog I posted earlier.
There is no log indicating a clean reboot, that almost always indicates a crash/hard reset.
Any idea how to completely disable cron jobs? There are some system cron jobs, I'm not sure it's a good idea to turn them off.
When does the next boot start? If it's not directly after the cron jobs, those are unlikely related. Otherwise, what does /etc/cron.hourly contain?

There is no log indicating a clean reboot, that almost always indicates a crash/hard reset.

When does the next boot start? If it's not directly after the cron jobs, those are unlikely related. Otherwise, what does /etc/cron.hourly contain?
Fiona, thank you for the help. The cron.hourly is actually empty.

I changed the CMOS battery, restored the BIOS settings that worked beautifully for the last 2 years or so, replaced a RAM with a new one, used the other available RAM slot, turned off OpenMediaVault completely. After I did that, the server stayed up for almost a day, then the crashes happened again.

At the moment I'm running only pfsense VM, and 2 LXCs (adguard home).

No idea what's going on.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!