rebooting node from console identical to GUI?

masgo

Jun 24, 2019
I have a stupid question: Is rebooting a PVE node from console (i.e., typing reboot) the ideantical operation as clicking reboot in the GUI?

Until now, I only ever restarted nodes from the GUI,. This does a clean ACPI/agent "shutdown" to all VMs, while obeying the shutdown-order and timeout settings, and then restarts the node. Does this also happen when doing it from the console?

Also a learning question: how does this work? Where is the "script" that coordinates this? How is it called?

As far as I know the command reboot in the command line will not shut down all VM's in a correct way.
If you want to do a shutdown from the command line you have to execute the following command before the shutdown command:
Bash:
pvesh create /nodes/proxmox/stopall

Reactions: masgo
shutdown -r now and also -h on the console will shutdown all VMs and CTs gracefully (respecting the start-up order). If reboot does not, I would suggest reporting this as a bug. Can you describe a reproducible scenario?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!