really strange problem on vm hd reduced size

openaspace

Sep 16, 2019
Italy
Hi.
This morning I have'd a really crazy situation.

One virtual machine with hd of 40gb was reduced to 20gb!!! no proxmox host reboot was performed in the last 7 days... really crazy
after I have expanded newly, but the os was stalled for the no space available...

How is possible a situation like this?!

Hi.
This morning I have'd a really crazy situation.

One virtual machine with hd of 40gb was reduced to 20gb!!! no proxmox host reboot was performed in the last 7 days... really crazy
after I have expanded newly, but the os was stalled for the no space available...

How is possible a situation like this?!
Hi,
what you describe is not possible to happen just on its own. Check your syslog and task log for hints on what happened and make sure your system has not been compromised.

In the task history there is nothing strange.
The last "important" task that i have performed was starting a VM clone after stopped, yesterday.

After resizing the hd VM to restore it, I was obligated to restore 2 times the vm to see the new HD size.

The firewall host is configured correctly and the host answer only to my static office ip and result completely hidden from any kind of port scan made from different ip. The VM's public ip is protected with ipfire with geolock ban and with IPS activated.

Last edited:
After resizing the hd VM to restore it, I was obligated to restore 2 times the vm to see the new HD size.
So do I understand correctly that you indeed did change the size of the VMs disk? This would explain why your OSes filesystem got corrupted.

No I mean that when I have realized that the VM was working on hd of 20gb instead of 40gb , i have resized newly.
But inside the VM i can't was able to see the new size, obligating me to restart the vm 2 times first to see new available space for the partition.

I'm speechless, maybe I need a vacation

No I mean that when I have realized that the VM was working on hd of 20gb instead of 40gb , i have resized newly.
But inside the VM i can't was able to see the new size, obligating me to restart the vm 2 times first to see new available space for the partition.

I'm speechless, maybe I need a vacation
Ah okay, sorry for the misunderstanding. But as I said this should definitely not just happen on its own. Please check the syslog for any clues on what might have gone wrong.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!