Real thin provisioning with CEPH

Nov 8, 2017
Muscat
Hi guys
We have Proxmox and Ceph as our storage.
I understand that by turning on discard on the VMs and doing fstrim we can reclaim the unused storage.
But my question is why as soon as I create a VM with E.G 200GB storage from CEPH pool, Proxmox will deduct that 200GB from the CEPH POOL.
Even after discard and fstrim if the storage decrease to let's say 30GB, but there is no way I can use that 200GB to provision another VM.
My purpose to achive this is to somehow oversell the storage with caution.
I have attached a screenshot of my CEPH Pool.

Attachments

• Annotation 2019-10-03 180245.jpg
    Annotation 2019-10-03 180245.jpg
    140 KB · Views: 42
The storage shows the configured size, not the actual one. You can check with rbd du <pool>/<disk-name> the used size.

The storage shows the configured size, not the actual one. You can check with rbd du <pool>/<disk-name> the used size.
I know I can see the actual size using those commands, but the issue is my storage in Proxmox will reduce by the given size, not the actual size.
For example, I have a 1TB Pool and storage of CEPH (RDB) in Proxmox, once I create an empty VM with a 100GB virtual disk, my storage has 900GB left and usable for other VMs.

Proxmox VE doesn't impose a limit on the storage, it is just statistics.

I know I can see the actual size using those commands, but the issue is my storage in Proxmox will reduce by the given size, not the actual size.
For example, I have a 1TB Pool and storage of CEPH (RDB) in Proxmox, once I create an empty VM with a 100GB virtual disk, my storage has 900GB left and usable for other VMs.

This is not normal. the space is not reserved and not used until you write datas in your vm.
as proof, you can also create vm disk bigger than available storage in your pool.

Just check the storage disk usage graph, create a vm with a disk, the disk usage space of the storage shouldn't change

that's great to know, even if it took me a while to understand you quite literally need to follow that format...

But I wonder if the allocated size might be added as a column in the storage/disk view of the GUI...

It's nice that the columns are selecteable, now I'd just want to be able to choose the columns which seem operationallay more meaningful, e.g. 'date' doesn't actually contain any data and logical vs. allocated is important to keep track off as VMs go about 'life'.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!