Real dual screen

Lionel

Nov 1, 2018
Hello,

I recently discovered Proxmox, and I've some questions about this product.

I currently have two computers :
- My main computer, which is on Windows 10 and has dual screens.
- A "home server" (processor with 4 cores, 16GB of RAM).

I would like to configure my home server in order to host virtual machines (Debian 9.5 with KDE most probably), and connect to them remotely using my main computer.

My first question is : If I understand well, I can install Proxmox VE on my home server, create my VMs, and use SPICE on my main computer to connect to the VM. Am I right?

My second questions is : I really want to use my both screens when I connect remotely to my VM (a true dual screen experience, not just scaling one display to fit the size of my two screens).
I saw some videos showing something similar to what I want (I cannot share the link - new user limitation), but not using Windows 10 as guest, not with Debian based VM, and without clear steps about how to configure the VM in order to achieve this result...
Is it possible to meet this goal? Is there any document detailing the steps (how to configure the VM, and what to configure on the guest machine)?

Thanks in advance!

Lionel

Hello,

I recently discovered Proxmox, and I've some questions about this product.

I currently have two computers :
- My main computer, which is on Windows 10 and has dual screens.
- A "home server" (processor with 4 cores, 16GB of RAM).

I would like to configure my home server in order to host virtual machines (Debian 9.5 with KDE most probably), and connect to them remotely using my main computer.

My first question is : If I understand well, I can install Proxmox VE on my home server, create my VMs, and use SPICE on my main computer to connect to the VM. Am I right?

My second questions is : I really want to use my both screens when I connect remotely to my VM (a true dual screen experience, not just scaling one display to fit the size of my two screens).
I saw some videos showing something similar to what I want (I cannot share the link - new user limitation), but not using Windows 10 as guest, not with Debian based VM, and without clear steps about how to configure the VM in order to achieve this result...
Is it possible to meet this goal? Is there any document detailing the steps (how to configure the VM, and what to configure on the guest machine)?

Thanks in advance!

Lionel

Hello, where you able to get this to work? I’m in Windows 10, using Spice as well, to remote into a Windows 10 guest. Spice with 1 montor works just fine.

Thank you,

Alvaro Lamadrid

Hi,

Yes, since the version 5.3, you have the option to select the video memory, which seems to help a lot !
For dual screen I select 128MB and the result is pretty nice.

On my side I use only Linux VMs, but I'm quite happy with the result and if I continue to use Proxmox I'll for sure buy a licence before the summer. :)

Have a nice day.

Reactions: alamadrid
Hi,

Yes, since the version 5.3, you have the option to select the video memory, which seems to help a lot !
For dual screen I select 128MB and the result is pretty nice.

On my side I use only Linux VMs, but I'm quite happy with the result and if I continue to use Proxmox I'll for sure buy a licence before the summer. :)

Have a nice day.
For some reason I cant get mine to work. I posted the problem in the forum. Here is the link:

https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/spice-dual-monitor-from-windows-7-guest.52296/

In Proxmox KVM, I am doing everything properly, have spice-vdagent installed in VM Ubuntu 20.04 LTS Desktop (gnome), but still the system won't see in display settings any extra monitor, and clicking display 2 in remote-viewer doesn't do anything.

I've seen that people have had this problem with different Ubuntu versions (ranging probably to even 16.04 LTS already then), and I have encountered that this might be problem with HWE kernel, so perhaps reinstalling to GA kernel can fix the problem:

https://stafwag.github.io/blog/blog...resolution-on-a-kvm-virtual-machine-with-qxl/

https://askubuntu.com/a/1011440/702332

I haven't tried that but I will give it a shot some day in the future.

I also reported the case here and in other places:
https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/spice-dual-monitor-from-windows-7-guest.52296/

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!