Reading an Audio-CD in a VM

drnicolas

Renowned Member
Dec 8, 2010
I am trying to rip Audio CDS.
On the pve cdparanoia lists all the track of the Audio CD

Trying the same inside the vm, I get a message that there are no audio tracks on this cd
Also the CD-Drive is listed as QEMU DVD-ROM

The CD-Drive is configured as "physical device"

Any ideas ?

The way it is passed to a guest (by QEMU) does not work with CD audio or DVD or Blu-ray video, and only for discs with "regular" files on them.
There are several threads in this forum over the years about passing through SATA or USB optical drives to watch video's and burn discs in VMs. iSCSI might also be an alternative.
There are Linux tools to make a backup of a (audio) CD or DVD and create an ISO that works fine with VMs (but may not be allowed in certain jurisdictions).

As I have the CDROM not attached to a separate Controller nor to USB, I thought of going the iSCSI-way.

Is there a tutorial or howto about how to do this in iSCSI?

I started and installed some software, but there seem to exist quite a couple of implementations.

Which ist best or already installed on the PVE? How to configure a CD-Rom target?

What should I use on the client (CT or VM)?

Sorry I don't know. I could never get iSCSI to work reliably. I bought a SATA to USB converter, which allows me to hot-plug it between guests (via the outside of the case).

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!