read/write to a subdir on a mountpoint? zfs related?

fuzzyduck

Jul 14, 2021
Hey,

I have a user called Harro:Harro with uid:gui 1000:1000 on proxmox host as well as exactly the same inside a container. I can map the ID's fine and user Harro can read/write on the host via a mountpoint. The LXC is privileged.

Something i dont get:

mp0: /TANK/shares/downloads/,mp=/mnt/downloads
In the LXC I can cd into the subdirs(owned by Harro:Harro on both sides) in downloads and read/write there. tested with a blank file on both sides.

mp1: /TANK/shares/,mp=/mnt/shares
Same procedure but one dir higher in the chain.
In the LXC I can see the subdirs, like downloads ofcourse, but they are suddenly owned by root:root. Which on the host is not true because thats Harro:Harro there.
when i cd into that root owned downloads the directory is empty.

i dont want make a mountpoint of every dir inside /shares. It defeats the purpose of what im trying to do.

Why this is happening? Is it because the dirs inside shares are made with zfs create? (shares is too)

zfs list gives me among others:
TANK/ TANK/shares TANK/shares/downloads

EDIT: i can read/write new files to /mnt/shares as Harro:Harro. So its a ZFS thing?

Last edited:
i have made regular dirs from the folders inside /TANK/shares and moved the contents to it. I can now read/write to them as Harro:Harro. So its def related to ZFS.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!