Re-used machine IDs

yurtesen

Nov 14, 2020
I have found several posts related to this. For example:
https://forum.proxmox.com/threads/questions-about-backup-names-and-vm-ids.24813/
https://lists.proxmox.com/pipermail/pve-devel/2018-April/031526.html

It feels strange that backups are shared between a deleted machine and a new one which uses same ID. Moreover there is no way to know where old backups stop and new ones start. Is there a bug/issue related to this?

I was just wondering as if there is an existing ticket, I would like to vote for it ...

Best workaround is to keep a list of existing VMID and never use a VMID twice. Would be nice if proxmox could keep track of such a list whenever you clone/create/migrate/destroy/restore a guest and then suggest a free VMID that wasn't used before, instead of just suggesting a VMID that isn't right now in use on that node. When creating/cloning a VM/LXC it could also check all added PBS/Vzdump storages for existing VMIDs in the backup and check all nodes in the cluster and don't suggest them even if they are currently not in use on that node.

Last edited:
Best workaround is to keep a list of existing VMID and never use a VMID twice. Would be nice if proxmox could keep track of such a list whenever you clone/create/migrate/destroy/restore a guest and then suggest a free VMID that wasn't used before, instead of just suggesting a VMID that isn't right now in use on that node. When creating/cloning a VM/LXC it could also check all added PBS/Vzdump storages for existing VMIDs in the backup and check all nodes in the cluster and don't suggest them even if they are currently not in use on that node.
you could just take advantage of the Notes feature in the P-VE GUI in order to keep a list of your VM's past and present.

1639691299884.png

Yes, there is no problem if I consciously do not use same VMID ever again. But human errors occur.

But it does not quite answer my question. I was wondering if any steps are taken to eventually solve this problem to some degree? Eg. is there a bug report, issue ticket or similar? Is it on Proxmox's radar?

Thanks,

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!