RDX Support in PBS?

anullinger

Renowned Member
May 10, 2011
Hello, some customers of mine have RDX systems with 4TB cartridges in use. Can we expect official support through PBS in the near future or should we switch to LTO systems?

Hi,

Proxmox Backup Server's tape backup will only support LTO (contrary to RDX, an open standard without vendor lock-in) for the foreseeable future. There are no plans to add support for RDX or similar proprietary tech, I'm afraid.

Reactions: anullinger
Sorry to bring this up again.
As RDX is more or less a swappable hard disk, can it be used in PBS?
Has anyone done this?

I've done this already and it's working. But it is really slow on HDD-cartridges because of those thousands of chunks...

I've done this already and it's working. But it is really slow on HDD-cartridges because of those thousands of chunks...
And did you rotate the cartridges? Does PBS know what to do, when a new cartridge is inserted?

We used 3x 1TB HDD-cartridges with changes every day.
Everything was scripted and "cron-jobbed". Set the store in maintenance mode, unmount the drive, eject the media, after insert mount again and so on...
Pretty easy at all to do this, but an initial sync (from another PBS) of around 600gb needed more than 10 hours.
Every incremental sync of around 150gb needed another 4 hours. And the more data (chunks) you have on the RDX the slower is the sync.
Don't expect more than 20mb/s. Definitely not practicable!
So we are quit with PBS on RDX and back to VZDumps.

Last edited:
Reactions: itNGO
We used 3x 1TB HDD-cartridges with changes every day.
Everything was scripted and "cron-jobbed". Set the store in maintenance mode, unmout the drive, eject the media, after insert mount again and so on...
Pretty easy at all to do this, but an initial sync (from another PBS) of around 600gb needed more than 10 hours.
Every incremental sync of around 150gb needed another 4 hours. And the more data (chunks) you have on the RDX the slower is the sync.
Don't expect more than 20mb/s. Definitely not practicable!
So we are quit with PBS on RDX and back to VZDumps.
Thanks for sharing this.....

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!