raw image recovery of formatted drive

Mark D

Jun 23, 2016
I have a MAJOR problem - self created.

I had a server which was giving issues (PE R730). I took out a spare server (R720), migrated all VMs to it. Took the R730 off-line to upgrade it to Proxmox 5. Now come to find out that one of the VMs had it's disk image on the previous server (R730) over nfs. I mounted the nfs so that the vm backups could nicely be restored on the R720 server, but by mistake selected Disk Image as an option. My partner did the restore and did not notice to change the storage to the local-lvm and restored the VM unto the R730 storage. The VM was running for a few days, and even if the R730 was being rebooted, the VM would keep running.

The R730 was completely wiped and a few new virtual machines created now before we find out that the main file server's storage does not exist and users cannot access their files anymore.

Does anyone know the chances of recovering data from a hard drive that has been wiped ? I'm a bit daunted by this task. Proxmox had lvm, then the file server itself had lvm as well, inside of which existed the partitions from which I need to recover files. Can anyone give hints on where to start?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!