Random freezes due to host CPU type

Decco1337

Apr 12, 2023
Hey guys,

I am facing random freezes of the whole on Proxmox 8.2.4 with the newest kernel (also older kernels), the newest microcode updates, disabled c-states, Eco mode on Ryzen 9 7950X. I found out that the issue just occurs if VMs have the host CPU type and especially with Windows VMs. I have to reboot the host manually that it cames back, I cannot type anything, it just don't respond anymore. Has anyone the same issues and a solution for it?

I also replaced the whole hardware, without any changes.

Updated: Seems not to be only windows related. Also got the same issue with Linux VMs (Debian, Ubuntu…)

2 of my servers would freeze at least 3 times per day before I ran that script.
Unfortunately did not help... Crashes again. Moved all VMs away to my second host which has no issues and did a memtest again. No errors, it passed without erros.

The second host crashed in that time, seems still be VM related.

Last edited:
Hello,

Please never run random scripts from the internet as root.

If you need to get the latest microcode updates for your CPU we have instructions in our documentation. Not having the microcode installed properly could explain the issue you mention.

[1] https://pve.proxmox.com/pve-docs/pve-admin-guide.html#sysadmin_firmware_cpu
Already did before and I checked the script, I am not dumb. Your answer is not helpful… Still having issues, seems to be Proxmox related. You should fix your software!

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!