RAM Usage Ubuntu 20.04

BelluX

Dec 10, 2019
Hi,

i have a problem with my VM, Ubuntu 20.04 LTS.

My setup is a Dell T40 with two WDC_WD200F5BYZ-01YCBB3 setted in ZFS with raid 1.

I don't know why Proxmox see 14,45GB while the VM with Htop see only 7.86. Qemu-guest-agent is installed.

1659948670803.png

Last edited:
The settings does not match all the time - neither CPU nor memory. Sometimes it fits better, sometimes it does not.

I have Debian machines (all same kernel), which show the same "problem". Even an reboot does not "fix" the used memory, only a poweroff and poweron will free the same, until it is used again. In my experience, the bigger the RAM of the machine, the larget the offset.

The settings does not match all the time - neither CPU nor memory. Sometimes it fits better, sometimes it does not.

I have Debian machines (all same kernel), which show the same "problem". Even an reboot does not "fix" the used memory, only a poweroff and poweron will free the same, until it is used again. In my experience, the bigger the RAM of the machine, the larget the offset.
RAM usage increases exponentially after a backup, than after two day proxmox start to kill the machine for going out of memory.

To resolve this i need to use fstrim -av, than shutdown the machine and restart again and the proxmox finally start to see the correct memory usage.

Use free -h and not htop. For PVE when running Linux VMs everything that is not "free" will be displayed as "used". Htop will show you "available" but not real "free" memory.

Use free -h and not htop. For PVE when running Linux VMs everything that is not "free" will be displayed as "used". Htop will show you "available" but not real "free" memory.
is the same thing, free -h shows correctly 6 GB available when Proxmox is not seeing it.

I had the same situation whit another Ubuntu, Proxmox is installed in ext4, not ZFS.

Same situation, i don't know why is not seeing RAM usage correctly.

Same situation, i don't know why is not seeing RAM usage correctly.
I don't see why it should not be correct. The RAM usage in htop is for windows people and is therefore not counting cache. That is exactly what is shown in htop if you can read it correctly. The yellow text is the used memory. PVE or non-windows ingeneral is counting cache because that memory is in fact used despite what windows says. You can read more here.

Reactions: Andrea Carnevali
is the same thing, free -h shows correctly 6 GB available when Proxmox is not seeing it.
Proxmox shows "free" RAM, not "available" RAM. Those are two different things. "free" RAM is RAM that is actually free. "available" RAM is RAM that is in use (so not free) but could quickly be freed up by the guest OS (but not by the PVE host, so from the perspective of the hypervisor the "available" RAM is unimportant, as it only matters if that RAM is in use or not in use at all).

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!