Ram not detected correctly

timdhl

Aug 14, 2024
Hello everyone! ,

I have the following problem: I started with a 16GB RAM stick on my Proxmox server, now I wanted to upgrade my RAM to 32GB, so another 16GB stick. When I boot with both sticks, Proxmox and my BIOS only recognize 16GB, so basically only one. Booting with both individually works, but? I have already tried all the slots on the motherboard, but only 16GB is recognized.

Does anyone have a solution to this?

Many thanks & best regards

You don't share any details about your hardware, but if the BIOS does not recognize more than 16GiB then there is nothing Proxmox can do about it. Did you check the manual and specifications of your motherboard and CPU? Can you share which make and model motherboard?

Your CPU may only support up to 16 GByte (like even modern Intel N100 and many older Intel CPUs with DDR3).

Also, memory comes in different ranks, if your CPU and/or chipset only supports two ranks, then obviously you need single-rank modules to be able to use more than one at a time.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!