ram 24gb 1333mhz dual rank vs 32gb 800mhz quad rank?

openaspace

Sep 16, 2019
Italy
To be or not to be, this is the question.

Dell t310 support ram only for a total of 24gb 1333mhz dual rank (6x4gb) or 32gb 800mhz quad rank high density (4x8gb)

I need ram for all vps.. will be terrible the switch to 800mhz???!!! (now working with 16gb 1333 and with zfs i remain with 1gb free)
(my most intensive vps application is nginx for live streaming events where the "copy" memory needs to be fast when i serve the same .ts video to 400 persons..no ffmpeg..but most of the times I use a CDN and there is no load on the cpu)

or i run file strage sharing like owncloud/minio s3 (big single files over 50gb raw 4k) .. or I store files using samba with ZFS (zfs arc use 8gb) on sas disks wihtout compression enabled.

To be or not to be, this is the question.. "I know... In Shakespeare's time, they would have shouted from the audience for him to spend the money and buy a new server!" :)

- 8 x Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU X3440 @ 2.53GHz (1 Socket) -

Last edited:
The key here are timings of each memory configuration, not just it's speed. Maybe you can try to lower the speed of your current modules to emulate how a 800Mhz memory could perform.

In any case if you really need 32gb you only have one real option here...

Reactions: openaspace
The way the Xeon CPU communicate with the high density ram can make the difference at 800mhz?

From chatgpt:
The terms "dual rank" and "quad rank" in server RAM modules refer to the organization and density of the memory chips on the module, not the number of modules that need to work together.

A "single rank" memory module has a single set of memory chips that can be accessed at one time. "Dual rank" means there are two sets of chips on the memory card, and "quad rank" means there are four. However, only one "rank" can be accessed at a time. So, a memory module with more "ranks" can have more data ready to be accessed, which can improve performance in some circumstances.

However, using "dual rank" or "quad rank" memory modules can limit the total amount of memory a system can support. This is because CPUs have a limited number of "ranks" they can support in total, regardless of how they are distributed across the memory modules.

When we talk about working in pairs, it often refers more to the concept of "dual channel" or "quad channel". This is a method to increase memory bandwidth by allowing the CPU to access two or four memory modules simultaneously. In these configurations, it's important that the memory modules are matched to ensure they have the same characteristics and can work together efficiently.

The key here are timings of each memory configuration, not just it's speed. Maybe you can try to lower the speed of your current modules to emulate how a 800Mhz memory could perform.

In any case if you really need 32gb you only have one real option here...

More memory channels would help, as you are running multiple systems instead of one on the same machine with virtualization but you cannot change that. Faster memory typically also has lower latency (or has it when running at the same lower speed), which is good when running multiple systems that all want to access different parts of the machine memory. Most importantly, make sure the motherboard and CPU support the memory you select. And since you cannot overcommit memory for VMs (or performance goes down the drain), make sure you get enough memory.

Intel X3440 only has two memory channels. ranks arent going to make a difference. DDR1333 has almost double the throughput capability of ddr3-800, but In practice I doubt you'd notice any difference either way. this is a really old and slow platform.
Used platforms will be always old :)

For the audio, I've recycled an old Mac pro dual CPU with the right nvme GPU and audio hardware and I reach same performance of m1 pro CPU for the same audio project ...

A powerful motherboard that mix stability of servers and flexibility of workstations? .. to assemble a self made server with enterprise ram durable for the next 10 years?

Last edited:
Used platforms will be always old
age is relative. ebay is full of off-lease equipment that's 3 years old. your system is from 2009-12. I'm too lazy to count how many tic/toc cycles that is.

For the audio, I've recycled an old Mac pro dual CPU with the right nvme GPU and audio hardware and I reach same performance of m1 pro CPU for the same audio project ...
you're kinda on the right path there- size the solution to the problem. BUT you have to realize that your macpro consumes around 500% more power, and the ram and disk performance isnt going to hold a candle to the m1- not in the same league- hell not even the same sport. returning to your initial question, apply the same logic- is your solution sufficient to whatever you need it to do? what problem are you attempting to solve?

A powerful motherboard that mix stability of servers and flexibility of workstations? .. to assemble a self made server with enterprise ram durable for the next 10 years?
That seems to be an answer, but I dont know what the question is.

IMHO forget timing and clockspeeds. This is old gear but I am taking almost any bet you won't notice the difference.
8GB more memory will boost your system more than faster memory.

I switched from PC3-10666 to PC3-8500 on my opteron - never felt a difference.

In my job everything changes Continuously.. So can be difficult to make certain investments.. for this reason the "garbage hardware" for me can have an important sense of non investment ..and gain Money anyway if it do the job..

My approach with a job is that the power consumption it's not important.. When there is a job to do will not make the difference to use 5kw or 5,2kw for 12 hours.. In the end what matters is the net % that you can take home..

For the example of the old Mac, it will certainly consume a lot, but if it works for three days, it gives me a good income and then it is unused for 20 days, the "garbage" hardware has produced more income Net equal to an investment in new hardware .. because the day after I probably need to use another completely different device which maybe I will be forced to buy new for technical needs.

..what I mean is that there are angles of a job that needs really investment and some others that can continue to work with garbage hardware that Still works.. obviously I'm not talking about h24 internet services..

.. the garbage hardware can be important and for some aspects more green of a new generation hardware with less power consumption.. if still works with zero investment..

workstation hardware could be a better solution for promiscuous approach and upgrade flexibility for the near future?

age is relative. ebay is full of off-lease equipment that's 3 years old. your system is from 2009-12. I'm too lazy to count how many tic/toc cycles that is.

you're kinda on the right path there- size the solution to the problem. BUT you have to realize that your macpro consumes around 500% more power, and the ram and disk performance isnt going to hold a candle to the m1- not in the same league- hell not even the same sport. returning to your initial question, apply the same logic- is your solution sufficient to whatever you need it to do? what problem are you attempting to solve?

That seems to be an answer, but I dont know what the question is.

IMHO forget timing and clockspeeds. This is old gear but I am taking almost any bet you won't notice the difference.
8GB more memory will boost your system more than faster memory.

I switched from PC3-10666 to PC3-8500 on my opteron - never felt a difference.
Thank you! This was the real sense of the question!!

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!