raidz out of space

rod86

Jul 27, 2022
Hello, i create one raidZ with 5 disks of 16To. I have a raid with 79,99To from size.
When i want to add a hard disk to my VM, i can't add more 35To.

Thanks for your help

Thats because of padding overhead. You need to increase the volblocksize from 8K to something like 32K. Otherwise you will loose 50% of your raw capacity (20% parity overhead loss + 30% padding overhead loss). In other words...everything written to a zvol will consume 160% space. You can change the blocksize for newly created guests in thr webUI at "Datacenter -> Storage -> YourZfsStorage -> Edit -> Blocksize". After that you will have to delete and recreate all VMs (easiest way to do this is to backup and restore all VMs or to migate them between guests).

See this article if you want to undestand the padding overhead: https://www.delphix.com/blog/delphi...or-how-i-learned-stop-worrying-and-love-raidz

Last edited:
Thanks for your answer. But i have this message when i increase my blocksize to 32.
failed to update VM 102: zfs error: cannot create 'raid-nas/vm-102-disk-0': 'volblocksize' must be power of 2 from 512B to 1M (500)

Did you really use "32K" and not just "32"? 32K is power of 2 and between 512B and 1M.

Also be aware of that performance of everything that writes blocks smaller than 32K will be terrible (like MySQL or postgres DBs).

You have to choose when using a raidz1/2/3 if you want to waste capacity with better performance for small blocks or the opposite. Good performance and alot of capacity isn't possible.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!