Raid replacements

kkjensen

Jan 30, 2020
I'm mucking around in the home lab testing stuff with ceph/proxmox and was wondering if there are any recommendations for raid replacement cards to just access drives directly. I'm pretty new to the server hardware scene so this probably sound a pretty elementary to most.

I grabbed a m1015 (under the recommendation of a friend) and while it is detected by bios the card doesn't fit in the same slot as the h700 card I'm pulling (its a dell r510 and the raid card is held in a series of plastic/metal brackets so its quite a constrained setup) I don't have long enough wires to connect it in a different x8 pcie slot so I haven't been able to do much other testing.

My questions:
-is there a better/more recommended jbod card that can be swapped in to replace raid cards
-are these ebay jbod sas/sata cards hot swappable? Can proxmox deal with drives getting swapped without needing to reboot or is a hard shutdown/reboot to configure things via the controller card interface required to swap drives?

Hi,

Ceph and Raid cards doe not work together.
Use an HBA or the onboard controller.
JBOD is still a Raid Controller and makes problems.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!