R720xd Installation on lsi 9207-4i4e

stefgrifon

Mar 30, 2021
Hello,

I try to install proxmox 7.1-2 on two R720XD. These servers have two raid controller’s

H710 Mini with IT Mode Flashing

LSI 9207-4i4e SAS P20 IT Mode for ZFS FreeNAS unRAID

I made the installation on Lsi 9207-4i4e. The LSI has 2 ssd, sa I used zfs raid1 with UEFI BOOT.

The installation finished without errors on both servers.

The problem comes on the boot. The boot stacks here:

First server

https://prnt.sc/gAFB3pc-z3yx

https://prnt.sc/gujCEMlwjinq

second server

boot without errors.

https://prnt.sc/HwZrp95wAczq

What do you think that is the problem? Can you help me please?

Thank you

Stefanos

Screenshot 2022-04-29 170258.jpg

On the server that doesn't boot, do you see a similar screen as above during POST? and are the attached drives shown just afterwards?

Hello again

I have changed from UEFI to BIOS boot (all the others settings are default in the bios)

Here is the screen shot of Lsi controller

1651310937887.png

The Settings of lsi are here
1651311002049.png
1651311026119.png
1651311055448.png
1651311088576.png

And here is the new error from the Proxmox boot.
1651311121044.png

What do you think its wrong?

Well it does look like it should be bootable - I would be inclined to try and re-install Proxmox, perhaps to a single disk and then if that worked, as a ZFS mirror

Well it does look like it should be bootable - I would be inclined to try and re-install Proxmox, perhaps to a single disk and then if that worked, as a ZFS mirror
I installed it on single hard drive and it works normally. Must i renistall the proxmox on zfs Raid 1?

I did format in both ssd.
1651396314239.png

I made an installation with any errors.
1651396367363.png1651396411961.png

I received this failure in the boot
1651396484220.png

Can you help me please?

Last edited:
have you tried with legacy bios install ( grub bootloader will be used)?
uefi install with zfs disk Setup will use systemd bootloader.
check if both install get same error

If i install with UEFI i receive this error:

1651522728535.png

Also I updated the proxmox which I have installed an single ssd. afterwards the proxmox doesn’t boot.
Screenshot_2.png
if i try to boot with ...19-6-pve i receive this error

Screenshot_4.png
if i try to boot with 19-2-pve
Screenshot_3.png

btw, you can't install pve on ssd attached on the lsi controller if you want to passthrough the lsi and his disks to truenas vm ...

Do you mean that this card is not supported with ssd disks only hdd?

so must I have the rear backplane to h710 controller (for the proxmox) and the front backplane to LSI controller?

Do you know any pcie nvme in order to use on DELL R720XD for booting?

f i install with UEFI i receive this error:
on a dell system - try to check the BIOS pages for the UEFI settings (allow access to UEFI vars from OS (not sure how it's called exactly) - and make sure it is set to enabled.

else - what's on the console (ctrl+alt+f2 (and ctrl+alt+f1)) after you get the error message?

I read too fast "LSI 9207-4i4e SAS P20 IT Mode for ZFS FreeNAS unRAID" , I've missed unRAID.
I don't know you goal, will you use FreeNAS or unRAID or the two ?!
for me, FreeNAS need direct access to disks to best performance & resilience because of ZFS.
So you need to passthrough LSI 9207 pcie card to VM FreeNAS then all disks of LSI are in FreeNAS only.

I read too fast "LSI 9207-4i4e SAS P20 IT Mode for ZFS FreeNAS unRAID" , I've missed unRAID.
I don't know you goal, will you use FreeNAS or unRAID or the two ?!
for me, FreeNAS need direct access to disks to best performance & resilience because of ZFS.
So you need to passthrough LSI 9207 pcie card to VM FreeNAS then all disks of LSI are in FreeNAS only.

I think he bought a card with the description "LSI 9207-4i4e SAS P20 IT Mode for ZFS FreeNAS unRAID". A LSI card set to IT mode so it works well with ZFS, FreeNAS and unRAID. That's a common description on second hand sites (and eBay)

Reactions: _gabriel

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!