Questions re PVE Upgrade and PBS Upgrade

captainproton

Aug 18, 2021
I have been reading the PVE 8 upgrade docs and it mentions for PVE and co-installed Proxmox Backup Server the backup server must be upgraded from v2 to v3.

I'm confused by the term "Co-installed". My backup server is a completely separate bare-bones machine in a different room. Does it need to be upgraded when PVE is on different computers? Does co-installed mean both PVE and PBS on the same machine?

Sorry if this is an obvious question for others.

Craig

Does co-installed mean both PVE and PBS on the same machine?
Yes. Both bare metal on the same machine.

From what I've have read so far backups from PVE8 to a PBS2 should still work. But I would still prefer to upgrade PBS too, at least after a few weeks when you are sure that everything with your PVE8 works as expected.

Last edited:
Yes. Both bare metal on the same machine.

From what I've have read so far backups from PVE8 to a PBS2 should still work. But I would still prefer to upgrade PBS too, at least after a few weeks when you are sure that everything with your PVE8 works as expected.
Thanks for the clarification. I have four separate computers, 3 running PVE 7.4 and 1 running PBS 2.4 which backs up the other 3.
I didn't want to commit myself to performing a total of 4 upgrades at the same time.

Thanks again.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!