Questions/Possible Issues

Rhongomiant

Aug 4, 2012
First let me say congratulations to the Proxmox team as you have done an amazing job. I liked the 1.x product, but it was not polished I ran in to annoying issues. With 2.1, I have not had these problems, the interface is well organized, makes sense, is easy to use, is very responsive and just works. The ability to multitask is awesome as well.

I have some questions about some limitations I have had, so this could be a list of feature requests.

1) Can the java shell that lets a user access the PVE Node console be modified? I would like to change/add the following.

1a) On some systems when I tab to auto complete it works like I am in Putty or at a physical console, but on other systems pressing tab moves the focus away from the shell and on to objects in the window like from button to button, start, shutdown, stop, send key, etc. This happens for node shell and VM console windows. Any ideas what might cause this behavior?

1b) Allow copy and paste in shell and kvm consoles.

1c) Allow it to scroll back more than one page.

1d) Make it larger, wider and taller.

1e) Perhaps allow for multiple ttys

2) Am I missing it, but I do not see where I can set the following items in the web interface.

2a) An SSL Certificate for the node.

2b) The hostname for the node.

2c) The network section for a node only lets me specify an IPv4 address and does not let me assign an IPv6 address instead of an IPv4 address or in addition to an IPv4 address. Also, obviously it does not let me set some IPv6 options which I mention because when you add IPv6 I would like to see you add these options. Options are different depending on the method used, auto, dhcp, static, etc. I have not done extensive testing with each option or determined if there are more options. There are more methods than I am listing and more options in some of the methods I am listing.

2c1) Method auto
privext - Disables, enables or enables and prefers the use of a temporary address.
dhcp - Disables or enables the use of dhcp to obtain information not provided by router advirtisements like name servers.

2c2) Method dhcp does not seem to have any options.

2c3) Method static has more options than I am listing.

accept_ra - Disables or enables the use of router advertisements when you have a static IP set. This setting allows or prevents the INET6 stack from obtaining a gateway when one is not manually entered and allows or prevents the use of the autoconf option.

autoconf - Disables or enables the INET6 stack's ability to additionally obtain an additional IPv6 IP in the same way that method auto does. I am not sure how useful this is, but if you want to use privext, it has to be enabled.

privext - Disables or enables the INET6 stack's ability to obtain a temporary IPv6 address. This does not seem to work for the Debian 6.0 installed by the Proxmox installer as it is configured. Other IP stack settings may need to be changed for this to work.

3) I cannot find a way to manage local storage. I have a 2nd drive in my Proxmox 2.1 server and the web interface will not let me do anything with it. I guess I have to add it to lvm via cli before the web interface can see it. It would be nice if there were more options in this area.

4) Creating a veth interface for a CT does not do anything to the network settings for the CT.

5) In the services tab I see a service named Proxmox VE cluster file system. Does this allow the use of cluster file systems or does Proxmox VE 2.1 setup the data file system like /var/lib/vz for clustering by default. e.g. When I setup my first HA node, the data in /var/lib/vz on my first node could/would sync with the /var/lib/vz on my other nodes.

6) It looks like all the create permissions allow delete as well. I would like to suggest that create and modify be separated from delete. Let me know if independent create/modify and delete options are already there.

7) It would be helpful if the Proxmox installer could allow the creation of a user other than root so that direct access to root could be limited during install process and so that root credentials would not have to be used to manage the web interface.

8) Allow items in tabs like services, network, dns, roles, etc. to be copied.

9) Is there a clear list of the possible paths that can be used for permissions?

10) I did not see an option to install Proxmox VE with software RAID.

please read the docs, answering a lot of your questions. second, search the forum for answers. if anything is still unclear ask here, but try to ask one question per thread. huge postings like this are hard to answer and time consuming to follow.

start here: http://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Category:Proxmox_VE_2.0

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!