Question re GPU Passthrough and noVNC

Mindbang

Mar 2, 2018
Hey folks,
I have a couple of VMs running and one GPU passed through to them (they are never started at the same time). I'm wondering if it is possible to additionally use the console via noVNC (or Spice?) while a VM is running that is using a passed through GPU?

It seems that, by default, passing through a GPU disables the adapter that is required for a noVNC connection to work and qm also tells me that the VNC server is disabled. I can't find any details on how this is integrated into Proxmox - but isn't noVNC just a standard VNC protocol that uses Websockets? If yes, then shouldn't I be able to run a server while GPU passthrough is active and access it from the Proxmox UI through the Console?

This seems to be a rather silly question, but I could not find any solid pointers on the forum :)

I appreciate any input!

Hi,

the problem is the graphic output is on the physical GPU and can't redirected by KVM.

Hi efeu

this is new to me and look promising.
It would be nice if you would integrate this into, maybe, proxmox 6?
I don't think it fit in our generic approach, because is support only Win10 with DXGI Desktop Duplication or NVIDIA Capture API.
DXGI is a Microsoft API and can never be used by other OS's.
Also the NVIDA Capture API will only support by the last 3 gen(Kepler/Maxwell/Pascal) of Quatro GPUs.

further thoughts:

since this is rather involved inside the vm, you could simply install a vncserver/enable rdp and use that
(instead of going the complicated route of gpu -> fb -> host -> vncserver -> api -> vncclient)

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!