Question for HA Cluster Networks (Ceph, PVEcm)

nicedevil

Aug 5, 2021
Hey guys, I recently bought 3 Intel NUC 13th gen mini PCs that have 1 M2 and 1 M2-Bkey SATA inside. Unfortunately they lack of mutiple LAN ports.
I plan on using CEPH on those 3 devices with the NVMe M2 SSDs. The OS should be installed on the M2 B-Key SATA drive.

So I read through the forum / online articles that recommend using a dedicated network for the CEPH communication.

First Question: Is it possible to use one of the 2 Thunderbolt 4 ports as a network device so they can use it for CEPH? (I can mesh all 3 boxes with all 2 ports connected to the other 2 devices f.e. on each, or is there a thunderbolt 4 switch, never saw anything like this)
This is the not so common way of doing it, I know... so next question would be, what network card that can connect of USB-C to the thunderbolt ports is possible to use in proxmox without any hassle and what speed should I use for it? The main useage are LXCs with nextcloud, server for my antivirus, uptime kuma, heimdall etc... nothing special. I have a switch with spare fibre channel SFP+ ports if needed.

Second Question: Is it ok to have the other connection doing its job as the "main LAN port" that is used by VMs, management of PVEcm or should PVEcm always be on a 3rd dedicated network?

Reactions: nicedevil

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!