[SOLVED] Question about permissions on the datastore backing path

Ovidiu

Renowned Member
Apr 27, 2014
test install of pbs here. going straight to add new datastore, give it a name and as path I enter /storage/backups/pbs

as a result pbs creates the pbs folder as /storage/backups already exists and seems to make a chown -R backup:backup /storage/backups/pbs and apparently sets 755 as permissions.

a few seconds later, pbs can no longer access the .chinks folder

Code:
Bad Request (400)
unable to open chunk store 'pbs-local-enc' at "/storage/backups/pbs/.chunks" - Permission denied (os error 13)

Code:
 ls -al pbs/
total 16482
drwxr-xr-x     3 backup backup     4 Nov 19 13:39 .
drwxr-xr-x     4 backup backup     4 Nov 19 13:39 ..
drwxr-x--- 65538 backup backup 65538 Nov 19 13:39 .chunks
-rw-r--r--     1 backup backup     0 Nov 19 13:39 .lock

Code:
ls -al /storage/backups/
total 66
drwxr-xr-x  4 backup backup  4 Nov 19 13:39 .
drwxrw---- 11 root   root   11 Aug 27 11:06 ..
drwxr-xr-x  3 backup backup  4 Nov 19 13:39 pbs

Code:
ls -al /storage/
total 781
drwxrw----   11 root   root     11 Aug 27 11:06 .
drwxr-xr-x   19 root   root     25 Aug 10 06:44 ..
drwxr-xr-x    4 backup backup    4 Nov 19 13:39 backups

how do I manually fix this?

p.s. for now, pbs is installed straight onto my single PVE instance as shown here: https://pbs.proxmox.com/docs/installation.html#install-proxmox-backup-server-on-proxmox-ve

Last edited:
we create the datastore as root and chown it to backup:backup but i see in your path that /storage/ is 760 and belongs to root:root, so the backup user cannot access anything below it

the backup user needs at least x rights on the complete path

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!