Question about maintenance

killmasta93

Renowned Member
Aug 13, 2017
Hi
So currently i was running proxmox on version 6.4 with various VMs and was working fine,
the server was a dell r720 with 192 gigs of ram 2 CPU and 8 SSD, i then bought another server same config, but i put proxmox 7 and passed all the VMs to the new server
and what i saw is that the VMs were much faster,
My question is, do i need to do maintenance on the servers when running SSD? or is it just because on version 7 of proxmox is much faster?

Thank you

yeah same config same everything my only guess was the version and because its recently formated.
but i was wondering if there is a special maintenance one has to do on proxmox?

I don't know any maintenance on pve.
What SSDs do you use ?
Do you use ZFS ?
+ On these old cpu, I set mitigations=off as kernel option.

its working awesome on the new servers, or alteast its better then SAS 10k disks, but would would you recommend?

An Enterprise SSD with power-loss protection so sync writes won't be terrible slow and killing the SSD very fast. Or at least a Consumer SSD with DRAM cache and TLC NAND (not recommended...but still way better than QLC).

Crucial BX is the worst for ZFS. I don't know how do you get normal performance with this config.
They are burnt. How many months (years?!) they run ?
Here I trash many of these (mainly 120GB/240GB so, the no many freespace doesn't help) after 4-5 years , only used on baremetal Windows.
They become slow, and they writes sequentially 0 (the easy top speed bench) at 10MB/S instead of their 300 MB/S out of the box when they're empty.

Here I trash many of these (mainly 120GB/240GB so, the no many freespace doesn't help) after 4-5 years , only used on baremetal Windows.
Killed two of the BX 120GB versions (the ones that still use TLC NAND) in under a year when used as a TrueNAS system disks ZFS mirror.

Crucial BX is the worst for ZFS. I don't know how do you get normal performance with this config.
They become slow, and they writes sequentially 0 (the easy top speed bench) at 10MB/S instead of their 300 MB/S out of the box when they're empty.
currently have it 2 years working fine

Consumer SSD do you recommend Samsung?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!