Question about local storage and resizing

fleon

Sep 12, 2016
On a default Proxmox 4.2 install, you get two storage containers:

local: size 94.37 GB, content vzdump backup file, iso image, container template
local-lvm: size 900+GB, content disk image, container

If i want to create a virtual machine, it only allows me to install in local, which is very small, therefore pointless.
Shouldn't virtual machines go inside local-lvm? Am i overlooking something?

The machine has 2 hdd sized 1TB each, and the other disk (sdb) wasn't touched. So i looked at http://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Extending_Local_Container_Storage and i did the following:

• deleted all partitions on dev/sdb
  • created one big partition type 23 linux lvm (NOT type 8e, that doesn't exist)
  • pvcreate /dev/sdb1
  • vgextend "pve" /dev/sdb1
  • lvresize -l 446439 /dev/mapper/pve-data
Everything worked, but the last step in the guide is to actually resize the filesystem. But if i do df-k no /dev/mapper devices are shown, it's rather called /dev/dm-0:

Filesystem 1K-blocks Used Available Use% Mounted on
udev 10240 0 10240 0% /dev
tmpfs 1612040 9044 1602996 1% /run
/dev/dm-0 98952796 1969196 91934052 3% /
tmpfs 4030100 43680 3986420 2% /dev/shm
tmpfs 5120 0 5120 0% /run/lock
tmpfs 4030100 0 4030100 0% /sys/fs/cgroup
tmpfs 100 0 100 0% /run/lxcfs/controllers
cgmfs 100 0 100 0% /run/cgmanager/fs
/dev/fuse 30720 16 30704 1% /etc/pve

If i do resize2fs /dev/mapper/pve-data it says invalid super block or something, and if i try to do it with /dev/dm-0 it says it already is updated.

Can this guide get updated?

It only allows you to create VMs on local-lvm, which is big.

sorry but i see the exact opposite behavior. Please see the attached screenshot.
I can only choose local, not local-lvm to install

Attachments

• p1.png
    p1.png
    32.3 KB · Views: 38
whoops, i understand the issue. the screenshot i attached is only to select the OS, which only allows you to choose local. When i continue to the hard disk section i indeed see local-lvm.

Could you explain what i am missing after adding the second drive? As you can see in the screenshot, the GUI shows 1.7TB available, but df doesn't show it. I am afraid the manual was made for an older version.

Also, i would rather use the second drive as a software RAID. Is RAID supported when installing proxmox from the ISO or would i have to add proxmox to a debian install in order to do custom partitioning as http://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Install_Proxmox_VE_on_Debian_Jessie says?

Could you explain what i am missing after adding the second drive? As you can see in the screenshot, the GUI shows 1.7TB available,

you resized the lvm-thin pool (btw, without resizing the metadata).

but df doesn't show it. I am afraid the manual was made for an older version.

df only shows mounted file system space usage (not lvm-thin pools).

Also, i would rather use the second drive as a software RAID. Is RAID supported when installing proxmox from the ISO or would i have to add proxmox to a debian install in order to do custom partitioning as http://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Install_Proxmox_VE_on_Debian_Jessie says?

We recommend to use ZFS if you want software RAID.

i used the wiki article mentioned to do the resizing. The article doesn't even mention anything regarding metadata, i followed the guide verbatim. It is obvious the article was made for an older version and lot of changes where made regarding LVM and storage, that's why i am asking for clarification.

How do I resize the filesystem and metadata?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!