Question about KVM/QEMU vs LXC performance

LangDuTienTu

Sep 15, 2020
Iam currently only using KVM/QEMU and not familiar with benchmark tools. I may switch to LXC/LXD and did search for some hours but cannot find a clearly answer about performance comparision between them.
I can only find old benchmarks and realize they seem did not use KVM in combination with QEMU and passthrough hardware such as SSD/HDD to get the best result with KVM.

For my purpose, I wanna run a NAS (based on Ubuntu with some HDDs and using qBittorrent) and a Webserver (manually compiling every packages). They 2 whatever using KVM or LXC/LXD will run their system parition on their own dedicated SSD. I currently mount a physical ssd to NAS for system parition and passthrough sata controller for HDDs, and Webserver it has only 1 NVMe so I simply passthrough NVMe controller to its KVM.

And I have some question need you to help me with
1. KVM/QEMU performance compares to LXC/LXD in CPU, RAM and especially Disk IO.
2. Can LXC/LXD mount physical disk directly? Cause I wanna keep all my HDDs data also with its ext4, as I use no benefits of ZFS.
3. Should I use LXC/LXD for NAS? I don't use RAID at all, my NAS is only for qBit and local sharing mainly.
4. Should I use LXC/LXD for Webserver purpose? I always manual compile OpenSSL, PHP, Apache, HAProxy and usually keep them up to date. I also wanna upgrade Debian to the latest version as well.

It's a long post now... Thank you.

1. It could be faster, but when using the virtio SCSI driver in a Linux VM, it will probably not be much.
2. You can mount the disks on the host and bind mount them to containers.
3. I prefer this because the low overhead and the container can use the full host disk cache (and all the ZFS features). Using a NAS VM with ZFS on top of the host with ZFS seems overkill and inefficient to me.
4. I use a container for a local subnet private web server (MythTV). If you intend to connect your web server to the internet, I suggest a VM because it adds another layer of protection: if the kernel or root account gets hacked, it will still be in the VM and not on the host. Also you could use a hardened kernel or Linux distribution that is made specifically for internet web servers.

Hope this helps a little.

Reactions: LangDuTienTu
3. I prefer this because the low overhead and the container can use the full host disk cache (and all the ZFS features). Using a NAS VM with ZFS on top of the host with ZFS seems overkill and inefficient to me.

Thank you for your clear answer, I quote this cause I have further questions wanna ask.

3.1. I also wanna install a media server also, may be Plex. I rarely use transcode but in case of using it on VM NAS, I can easily passthrough GPU to VM and its performance is perfect. With container can I do something similar? Iam using AMD RX 580 and this card does not have SR-IOV/MxGPU so the plan using vGPU is not able.
3.2. qBit NOX with WebUI lacks some functions, now I wanna use qBit in Desktop Environment. I did some research but atm I still cannot make GUI working on Ubuntu container. If you have experience about this please give me guide.

PS 3.1: I give LXD VM a test and able to run GUI on it and connect with VNC. But I cannot do the same with LXD Container.

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!