[SOLVED] Question about exact KVM backup & snapshot mechanism

curious_1

Aug 30, 2015
Hello, I was wondering how does exactly KVM backup and snapshoting works in Proxmox VE for qcow2 based VMs. I've been looking for an answer on the web but found nothing. If it's not a company secret I'd like to ask what kind of tools and commands are used to perform backup and snapshot tasks. Is KVM live (snapshot) backup something like:
Code:
qemu-img snapshot -c "backup_point" /var/lib/.../vm.img   qemu-img convert -f qcow2 -O qcow2 -s "backup_point" /var/lib/.../vm.img /var/lib/.../backup/vm_bak.img   lzop /var/lib/.../backup/vm_bak.img   qemu-img snapshot -d "backup_point" /var/lib/.../vm.img
? And how does snapshots for KVM works? As far as I can see it's a full snapshot containing VM memory state and such, so QEMU Monitor "savevm" command maybe? But as far as I know that command doesn't create a new disk image file which I can see is created by issuing snapshot command from Proxmox web panel. I'd be very grateful for satisfying my curiosity. Best regards, curious_1

Last edited:
Thank you very much for your answer dietmar, that is exactly what I wanted to know. Best regards, curious_1

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!