Question about CPU Type

Mar 29, 2020
Hello,

My host is a Ryzen ThreadRipper 7950x and the Graphics Card I am trying to pass is a Quadro T1000 4Gb.

Whenever I use 'host' as the CPU type in a Windows10 machine, the GPU no longer works - I either get a 'Code 43' or a partially functioning GPU (recognized, but not providing any hw acceleration).

OTH, if I use 'qemu64' as the CPU type, the graphics card functions as expected.

I passed what I believe to be the right option in GRUB (follow PCI Passthrough guide + video=vesafb:off,efifb:offas kernel options). I am running Proxmox 7.4-3.

1) Why is this?

2) Can it be fixed?

3) What are the cons of having 'qemu64' as a CPU type?

Thx!

Last edited:
You could try a custom CPU type or one of the predefined ones that don't have the `svm` flag set.
If you don't have nested VMs (VMs inside VMs) and don't need them, you could also try disabling nesting instead.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!