Quarantine not (really) empty

matze1

Mar 7, 2018
Hi,

deleting quarantined spam via gui does not really delete these corresponding mails from the directories in the filesystem.

So even if i have deleted all quarantined spammails via the gui, these mails remain in the directories under /var/spool/pmg/spam/*

And they pop up in the daily "Proxmox Status Report" at Spam Quarantine -> Number of mails

Would you consider this as a bug or a feature?

Regards,

Matze

This is the current implementation, a cron job removes old quarantine emails (see Spam Quarantine life time)

So if i delete spam via gui or not, it will be deleted finally only after "Spam quarantine life time"?
Well, that's not very clearly described in the manual.

Why isn't it deleted right away when i click "delete" as i would expect?
So it's only something like "remove from view"

Regards,

Matze

So if i delete spam via gui or not, it will be deleted finally only after "Spam quarantine life time"?

Yes. There are cases where a user clicks delete by error and then he wants the email back.

Is there an easy way to give such a deleted mail back to the user via GUI?
Undelete for example?

If not, how can this be done?

not via gui, only with access to the file system, root only.

I was surprised to learn this (that actions in the users quarantine DON'T affect what's on the disk).

It's been a couple years, Is this still how things work with quarantined spam?

I was surprised to learn this (that actions in the users quarantine DON'T affect what's on the disk).

It's been a couple years, Is this still how things work with quarantined spam?
yes

Reactions: Stoiko Ivanov
I think for us we found this confusing because we've been asked to run the "daily" quarantine report (which reports on things quarantined "today") several times a day (and I'm now thinking that the designers intention was for deployments NOT to do this and rather depend on recipient notifications everytime something is quarantined - which begs the question, what if they get a large number spam emails? That's a lot of notifications, but then hopefully the Proxmox deployment will pick up on that).

Not to tease, but it's somewhat confusing to the users, the feedback we've been getting is:
  • When a user does something in their quarantine their EXPECTATIONis that on the next run of the report they would
    • NOT see the email they blacklisted/deleted
    • NOT see the email they whitelist/delivered
If the user "deletes" something why NOT also delete from the disk (with an "are you sure" maybe)? Or add "blacklist and delete" & "whitelist and deliver" buttons? Sorry now I'm getting into feature-requests...just thinking out loud.

Now I suspect this'll be a training thing, we've have to tell our users to act twice on any email:
  • Whitelist and then deliver
  • Blacklist and delete
OR
  • Go back to a daily report once a day
  • And rely on recipient notifications
Am I on target?

I suspect that Proxmox development has focused more on the processing of mail (outside of user interactions), and these kind of UI feature requests come later? Does anyone know, is there an accessible list of feature requests that are being considered (don't want to add more noise to the channel if this is already been kicked around a bunch...)?

The 'Whitelist & Deliver' and 'Blacklist & Delete' feature is on our TODO list.

OK great, thanks!

Is there a public version of the TODO list (hate to press for things that are already in the works)?

Understood, thanks for the follow-up.

Lastly (& please, take this kindly - I'm sure Proxmox folks have plenty to do), the Roadmap on the wiki is blank. I was hoping to find content related to where you hope to go as Proxmox develops or what current proxmox developments/projects developers/the-community is excited about?

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!