quarantine management doesn't preserve username case

chipc

Sep 20, 2007
Hi,

We've just noticed that the quarantine management system does not preserve case of the username portion of the address; e.g. e-mail for Joe.User@ourdomain and joe.user@ourdomain are both quarantined under the all-lowercase name, even though case is preserved in the message as delivered and in notifications relating to quarantine. This is causing minor inconvenience to us admins, who prefer to copy-and-paste the e-mail address from the notification message into the User field of the Quarantine Archive search; we need to manually lowercase it. But worse, in theory, e-mail usernames are supposed to be case-sensitive so these *could* be different people; the latter would get the former's quarantine notices and be able to view their messages via the quarantine interface.

Chip C
Toronto
Version (package/version/build) proxmox-mailgateway/2.3/3836

But worse, in theory, e-mail usernames are supposed to be case-sensitive so these *could* be different people; the latter would get the former's quarantine notices and be able to view their messages via the quarantine interface.

Right, in theory. In practice, 'User' is 'uSER' is 'USER' - If you treat that correctly, that user will get 3 different spam reports - which is also not what you want (and this happens quite often in practice).

Or do you really have a issue where a case-difference is a different user?

My actual issue is that the exact name that appears in the notification cannot be used to locate the message in the quarantine management interface; this cost us some time yesterday trying to find a message in quarantine so we could release it. Superficially the fixes mught be either (a) use the lowercased name in the notification or (b) make the quarantine archive search case-insensitive.

I certainly do not foresee case-sensitive usernames at this site, and I agree that the user probably doesn't want to get a separate quarantine report for every combination of case that spam comes in for...it just seems in priniciple that since the RFCs say that the field is case sensitive, it ought to at least be an option to follow it. I just have to assume that someday that's going to bite someone.

On the subject of users getting multiple spam reports, I'd love to be able to define equivalency groups based on domain, so that I can tell proxmox that internal user juser@example.com is the same as juser@egcorp.com for the purposes of spam reports. Maybe this works with ldap integration but we're not there yet.

Chip

My actual issue is that the exact name that appears in the notification cannot be used to locate the message in the quarantine management interface;

Th notification is a link - simply follow that link ... ?

this cost us some time yesterday trying to find a message in quarantine so we could release it. Superficially the fixes mught be either (a) use the lowercased name in the notification or (b) make the quarantine archive search case-insensitive.

b) is the way to go - added this to our todo list.

I certainly do not foresee case-sensitive usernames at this site, and I agree that the user probably doesn't want to get a separate quarantine report for every combination of case that spam comes in for...it just seems in priniciple that since the RFCs say that the field is case sensitive, it ought to at least be an option to follow it. I just have to assume that someday that's going to bite someone.

First, all proxy functions are 100% RFC conform (they are case-sensitive). Only the quarantine is case-insensitive, because all major mailserver vendors ignore case.

On the subject of users getting multiple spam reports, I'd love to be able to define equivalency groups based on domain, so that I can tell proxmox that internal user juser@example.com is the same as juser@egcorp.com for the purposes of spam reports. Maybe this works with ldap integration but we're not there yet.

Yes, that works, but only with ldap.

- Dietmar

The administrator notifications generated by Notify Admin action don't contain a link, they're just plain text messages. For quarantined outbound messages we get the admin notifications and take action transparently to the sender and receiver. So we're cutting and pasting the receiver address from the e-mail message into the proxmox gui in a browser window.

Anyhow, if something like (b) shows up in a future release, then I'd be delighted!

Thanks,

Chip

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!