[SOLVED] Quarantine mail preview auto-loads linked images, how to stop this?

SiriusNZ

Mar 10, 2018
I've just set up PMG for a family email server, as well as getting familiar with it in order to see if it is suitable to use at work later on.

I have encountered this little surprise when checking out the message quarantine (as the administrator / root user):

When going to Administration > Spam Quarantine and viewing a quarantined message that contains linked images (which more than likely are tracked), these images load.

Most mail clients (Outlook, Thunderbird, Zimbra...) block this kind of activity due to the trackability of linked images in emails, typically presenting a button or banner that the user has to click to allow those images to load.

Given that messages in the quarantine are there because they are suspected to be spammy, I think this should be blockable (and blocked by default).

Have I missed a configuration option somewhere, or is this an issue?

Attachments

• spam-sample.png
    spam-sample.png
    292.2 KB · Views: 11
Ah, so it was something I missed.

Thanks for that!

Although I think that should have a more secure default value (viewimages=0).

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!