[SOLVED] "qm guest exec" problem

Linyu

Jun 14, 2019
Hi, I am a beginner, and I have a Windows 2012R2 VM with guest agent installation. And I am now trying to use qm guest exec VMID to run a program I have put in the Disk C: of the VM, Which is "C:\\program.exe", this program have 4 args I need to pass in, I've tried many types and I can't run it, can you give me an example?I can't get the answer from google..

Code:
root@node-us:~# qm guest exec 101 "start C:\\program.exe arg1 arg2 arg3 arg4"
Agent error: Guest agent command failed, error was 'Failed to execute child process (Invalid argument)'
root@node-us:~# qm guest exec 101 "C:\\program.exe" "arg1 arg2 arg3 arg4"
Agent error: Guest agent command failed, error was 'Failed to execute child process (Invalid argument)'

So, can you give me an example to do this well? Thank you very much~

Try first to remove the double "\".

QM Agent is installed and activated? You see some Information about the IPs in PVE GUI?

Thank you, and yes, I can see the IPs in PVE GUI,
I got this:
Code:
node-us:~# qm guest exec 101 "start C:program.exe arg1 arg2 arg3 arg4"
Agent error: Guest agent command failed, error was 'Failed to execute child process (No such file or directory)'

But I am pretty sure it's there with that name :p

Please use an correct Windows Path, its like
Code:
C:\program.exe
and not
Code:
C:\\program.exe
or
Code:
C:program.exe
or
Code:
C:/program.exe

:(Look:
Code:
root@node-us:~# qm guest exec 101 "start C:\initer.exe arg1 arg2 arg3 arg4"
root@node-us:~# qm guest exec 101 "start C:/initer.exe arg1 arg2 arg3 arg4"
root@node-us:~# qm guest exec 101 "C:/initer.exe arg1 arg2 arg3 arg4"
Agent error: Guest agent command failed, error was 'Failed to execute child process (No such file or directory)'
root@node-us:~# qm guest exec 101 "C://initer.exe arg1 arg2 arg3 arg4"
root@node-us:~# qm guest exec 101 "C:\initer.exe arg1 arg2 arg3 arg4"
root@node-us:~# qm guest exec 101 "start C:\initer.exe arg1 arg2 arg3 arg4"

Okay, problem solved, this will work:

Code:
qm guest exec 101 "C:/program.exe" "arg1" "arg2" "arg3" "arg4"

I have kinda similar kind of problem. I did get this to work now if I see the referenced "separate all arguments" approach. But I still have problem with dash.

This works:
Code:
root@phoenix:~# qm guest exec 1015 "df"
{
   "exitcode" : 0,
   "exited" : 1,
   "out-data" : "Filesystem     1K-blocks    Used Available Use% Mounted on\nudev              490548       0    490548   0% /dev\ntmpfs             101072    7948     93124   8% /run\n/dev/sda1        5092992 1406012   3408556  30% /\ntmpfs             505352       0    505352   0% /dev/shm\ntmpfs               5120       0      5120   0% /run/lock\ntmpfs             505352       0    505352   0% /sys/fs/cgroup\n"
}

This works:
Code:
root@phoenix:~# qm guest exec 1015 "df" "/"
{
   "out-data" : "Filesystem     1K-blocks    Used Available Use% Mounted on\n/dev/sda1        5092992 1406012   3408556  30% /\n"
}

This does not. It seems that qm command thinks that it's an [OPTION] for him and not to be sent to qemu agent.
Code:
root@phoenix:~# qm guest exec 1015 "df" "-h"
Unknown option: h
400 unable to parse option
qm guest exec <vmid> [<extra-args>] [OPTIONS]

After the command you need "--" to tell the qm command to ignore further options:

Code:
# qm guest exec 104 /usr/sbin/fstrim -- "-av"
{
   "out-data" : "/boot: 771.8 MiB (809226240 bytes) trimmed\n/: 26.4 GiB (28355977216 bytes) trimmed\n"
}

Haha , cool. This was exactly the problem - I wanted to send mass trim to all my guests and "trim -av" failed. I just used "df" example since it's more reproducible. Thanks.

Reactions: Linyu
Yep, I do this just before snapshots:

Code:
for VM in $(qm list | sed '1d' | awk '{print $1}')
do
/usr/sbin/qm guest exec $VM /usr/sbin/fstrim -- "-a"
/usr/bin/vzdump $VM --mode snapshot --mailnotification always --mailto your@email
done

Reactions: Linyu

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!