QEMU HARD DISK DRIVE in unRAID VM

Zippi

Nov 17, 2022
Hi,
i'm trying unRAID VM on ProxMox for test.
It's running fine and for test i'm using only 1 50Gb vdisk but i don't understand why now is empty ( fresh install ) and 20Gb are already occupied on this QEMU HARD DRIVE. Why? What's the reason?
Is there a way to have all the 50Gb free as a real Hard Disk?
Thank you in advance!

Try making the disk pre-aloccated before going to install.
Ciao Leonardo,
a parte che non saprei come fare....sono un pò niubbo e non so come si fa a pre-allocare....
Ho chiesto la stessa cosa anche nel forum di unRAID e mi hanno spiegato che avendo un solo disco virtuale ma avendo già abilitato di default anche Docker unRAID stesso aveva appunto solo 1 disco dove occupare i circa 20Gb di default che normalmente occupa quando abiliti Docker.
Ho allora provato ad aggiungere altri 2 dischi virtuali ed infatti questi ultimi sono rimasti "vuoti" quindi dovrebbe essere tutto OK.
Ringrazio per l'aiuto e la pazienza.
Ora provo a fare un pò di test.

Hi Leonardo,

apart from that I don't know how to do it .... I'm a bit of a noob and I don't know how to pre-allocate ....

I also asked the same thing in the unRAID forum and they explained to me that having only one virtual disk but having already enabled Docker by default, unRAID itself had just 1 disk on which to occupy the approximately 20Gb by default that it normally occupies when you enable Docker.

I then tried to add 2 other virtual disks and in fact they remained "empty" so everything should be OK.

Thanks for your help and patience.

Now I try to do some testing.

unRAID.png

Ciao Leonardo,
a parte che non saprei come fare....sono un pò niubbo e non so come si fa a pre-allocare....
Ho chiesto la stessa cosa anche nel forum di unRAID e mi hanno spiegato che avendo un solo disco virtuale ma avendo già abilitato di default anche Docker unRAID stesso aveva appunto solo 1 disco dove occupare i circa 20Gb di default che normalmente occupa quando abiliti Docker.
Ho allora provato ad aggiungere altri 2 dischi virtuali ed infatti questi ultimi sono rimasti "vuoti" quindi dovrebbe essere tutto OK.
Ringrazio per l'aiuto e la pazienza.
Ora provo a fare un pò di test.

Hi Leonardo,

apart from that I don't know how to do it .... I'm a bit of a noob and I don't know how to pre-allocate ....

I also asked the same thing in the unRAID forum and they explained to me that having only one virtual disk but having already enabled Docker by default, unRAID itself had just 1 disk on which to occupy the approximately 20Gb by default that it normally occupies when you enable Docker.

I then tried to add 2 other virtual disks and in fact they remained "empty" so everything should be OK.

Thanks for your help and patience.

Now I try to do some testing.

View attachment 55064
Sure, you should select the virtual disks to lvm-thin and mark the option in the moment you create the disk or install it

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!