QEMU-Guest Fails to install

After a BIG struggle with this issue, I've found that sometimes, for obscure reasons, the installer of the guest agent spews out an error like:

Error: 8004E00F when trying to access COM+ Applications in Component Services

I solved this obscure issue as per Microsoft reccomendation:

------------------- CUT HERE

This error could be because of missing or damaged MS DTC or the Network Service account does not have sufficient permissions.

We can try the steps mentioned below and check if that helps in resolving the issue:

Method 1: Re-create the MS DTC log

Re-create the MS DTC log, and then restart the service. To do this, follow these steps:
  1. Type Command Prompt in the search bar on the taskbar.
  2. Right click on Command Prompt icon and click on Run as administrator.
  3. At the Command Prompt, type the following command, and then press ENTER: msdtc –resetlog
    Warning
    The msdtc -resetlog command can cause data corruption if it is used incorrectly. Make sure that you do not have any pending transactions when you run this command.
  4. Type the following command, and then press ENTER: net start msdtc.

If Method 1 didn’t help, please follow Method 2.

Method 2: Re-registering the service

Note:
Important this section, method, or task contains steps that tell you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow these steps carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs.

Follow the steps to take backup of registry.

1. Press the Windows logo key + R to open the Run dialog box.
  2. Type regedit in the Run dialog box, then press Enter.
  3. Navigate to the location: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\MSDTC
  4. Right click on TurnOffRpcSecurity and select modify. Change the value to 1.
  5. Now, in Run box, type services.msc.
  6. Look for Distributed Transaction Coordinator and stop the service.
  7. Double click on the service and click on Log On tab.
  8. Now type NT Authority\NetworkService under This account.
  9. Leave the password section blank.
  10. Click on Apply and OK.
  11. Start the service.
  12. Restart the computer.
--------------- CUT HERE

The "Method 1" worked for me, after the commands "msdtc –resetlog" & "net start msdtc" the guest-agent installed correctly. YMMV.

Took me 1 hour of swearing at the screen to get the gist of this error, because the cmd prompt that spews out the error lasts for less than half a second. I had to record the screen and slow it down to 0.02X .

It was painful.
tks.my MSDTC is disable,change to start is ok

I ran into this trying to install the guest agent on Windows Server 2008R2. The fix for me was unrelated. Posting here as the error message is the same. Some dlls were missing and it's possible the command the msi was using to install the service was wrong (based on the event log). I had to:
Use 102.10 from here, other versions aren't supported on 2008R2: https://fedorapeople.org/groups/virt/virtio-win/direct-downloads/archive-qemu-ga/
Extract the msi file using 7-zip.
Copy the files to
Code:
c:\program files\qemu-ga\
rename all
Code:
_
to
Code:
-
Download mingw64 (I used this one, you want the dlls in the bin folder: https://winlibs.com/#download-release )
keep running
Code:
qemu-ga.exe
until the dll errors stop appearing (as you fix them)
then run
Code:
qemu-ga.exe -s install
and possibly
Code:
qemu-ga.exe -s vss-install
(this 2nd one should be run by the first)

if you run into errors about services already existing (for example, failed prior installs), you may have run
Code:
qemu-ga.exe -s uninstall
or
Code:
qemu-ga.exe -s vss-uninstall
, and maybe more than once.

After the install finishes successfully, everything should be working.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!