Qemu Agent problem

Marc Faid'herbe

Apr 16, 2016
Hi all,

When I activate Qemu Agent on a Windows VM I have a shutdown time out when I try directly shutdown or when I make a backup in stop mode.

PCI serial driver is installed in the Windows VM. After disabled qemu agent, shutdown is ok and backup also.

Regards
Marc

Hi Dominik,

Of course before I post I follow this, but after re-read seems I have forget to install qemu-guest-agent. Install is ok now and I can shutdown properly my VM. Only install x86 package is OK, I have an error with x64 install on 2K8 R2.

Hi Dominik,

All is right now after installing qemu-guest-agent in all my Windows VMs. Backup in stop mode shutdown VM and shutdown from the GUI also.
I confirm that x64 Qemu agent is not installable but x86 is OK. I have a strange behavior when I've installed qemu-guest-agent the VM reboot but all is right after the restart and Quemu Agent is installed as a Windows service.

Thank for you help.
Best regards,
Marc

How do I add the Guest Agent to a Windows 7 Pro VM?

Do I have to add a 'serial port' or just install the VirtIO Serial driver from the VirtIO Drivers CD and reboot?

Last edited:
Thanks.

Actually, why I had to do (in PVE 3.4) is to run the command line...

Code:
qm set VMID -agent 1

...then reboot Windows, then...

Code:
Control Panel > System > Device Manager > PCI Communication Device > Add Driver

Code:
Browse to CD > Qemu-Agent > Install .msi

Code:
Control Panel > System > Services > Qemu Agent : Started

...then try a 'Shutdown' in the PVE Web GUI.

Voila! Problem fixed!

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!